Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Call me old-fashioned...

...but there are a handful of things I read/witnessed today that I just couldn't get over. And that I don't agree with AT. ALL.

*School dances for kids younger than middle school. Jonah came home today with a flyer for the Open House on Thursday, and then a dance to follow. Ummm....whaaaa?? My son is in FIRST GRADE folks. First grade. Not sixth or tenth. And it's for the whole school....which means Pre-k through second grade. NOPE. Not gonna happen. (Noah's school is having a dance later this month as well, and no, my fourth grade son will not be attending his school dance either.)

*People driving down the road outside of the school parking lot with their kids unbuckled/hanging out the window of the car. Where is the common sense people??

*A mother sending her 9/10 year old son into the Dollar Store with a $5 bill so that he can pay for her three pregnancy tests. I dont care how bad your English is, don't send your son in for your dang tests. Let him be your interpreter, but don't send him in on his own.

*This one didn't happen today, but rather last week. And I wasn't witness to it, but it happened to my hubby's neice, so I heard about it from my sister-in-law. Schools should NOT suspend a student for showing up to school wearing a shirt that reads "Virginity Rocks". (Yes, sadly this happened to my neice on her first day of school.) You allow people to wear their gay pride shirts, wear various other awareness items, but you suspend a teenage girl for taking a stand and being smart? Not cool, public school system. Not cool at all.

Okay. I'm off my soap box for now. But be prepared...this may become a series for me. Because lately I'm realizing that there are way too many things that are considered "okay" for our youth that shouldn't be.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Preach it sister!

Clara said...

That's right! Take a stand against stupidity and ignorance :)