Monday, June 6, 2011

The day one of my worst fears came to life.

I will always remember today, June 6, 2011 as the day a snake got into my house.

I am TERRIFIED of snakes. I turn into a running, horror-movie-type-scream crazy woman. That was me about 30 minutes ago.

The boys and their friends were playing outside and Jonah came in the backdoor for a quick drink. I was in the living room and he came in and said "MOMMA! There's a snake in our house!!" I told him to knock it off, that I wasn't falling for the rubber snake trick (the neighbor kids had been playing with one over the weekend and left it in our yard. I thought Jonah was pulling me leg). He started panicking and crying and said "No seriously mom! There's a snake in the dining room!" I can tell when he's lying and let me tell you...he wasn't.

So then I start panicking and walk around through the kitchen and hid behind the cabinets while I peeked over to see what he was talking about. Sure enough, there was a baby snake half coiled with it's head poking straight up. (Think of how they portray cobras when snake charmers play those flutey thingys and the neck & head make a "s" shape...THAT is what I saw only a smaller version.)

I grabbed Sophia and ran out the front door (after shouting a couple explitives that I'm not proud of) and ran around the side of the house to the yard where the kids were playing. Without going into my backyard I asked of of the neighbor kids if he was afraid of snakes. He said "not really", so I told him to grab the broom that was by the back door and go inside my house and remove/kill the snake that was inside. Jonah was brave enough to hold open the screen door so that it could be swept out...Noah had high-tailed it out of the vicinity of our yard as soon as he heard "snake". Poor kid. I won't hold it against him.

My brave, 10 year old neighbor is currently my hero.

I called my hubby at work and informed him he needed to request orders IMMEDIATELY. I told him the story and he laughed when I got to the part about the neighbor boy rescuing me.

I don't care that it was a baby snake...I don't even like worms because they're miniature snakes in my opinion. A baby snake grows up to be a big snake. And if there's one baby in my house, that means there are more babies and a MOMMA SNAKE somewhere nearby.

I am currently sitting on my couch with my feet up on the cushions and waiting for the housing people to come hang a screen door that isn't an inch shorter than my door frame.

No comments: