Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Get it while you can!

Unless things miraculously change before February 10th (and yes, I do believe in miracles and am praying with all my might about this), I will no longer be able to sell my childrens items anymore. The new CPSIA law goes into effect that day. While it's a great law in theory, it is absolutely going to be the death of craft shows and homemade items for children. Even though I use materials that have lead-testing certificates from the manufacturers, I would still have to send the finished item for testing. I would have to test each component of the item, and around $100 per component. So for one of my onesies, I'd have to test the onesie itself (running total: $100, the snaps that close the onesie at the bottom (running total: $200), the fabric that I use for the applique (EACH fabric that is used has to be tested...so if a onesie has 4 different fabrics, that's another $400. Running total: $600), each color thread used (4 threads to match the 4 fabrics- running total $1000) and the iron-on I use to secure the applique while I sew it down ($1100). So a onesie that normally runs me about $8 to make would now cost me over $1000. And the kicker of it all is that the tests for lead DESTROY the items that it is testing. Since the vast majority of my items are OOAK (one of a kind) or custom order, I cannot comply.

So what does all of that mean for you? It means that you won't be able to find cute, personalized, unique clothes & toys for your babies. For me it means that I won't be able to do what I love while staying at home with my precious children. No, it's not a steady income, but it's some pocket money and I enjoy it. Every purchase that someone makes from me is a huge compliment.

So go to my Etsy shop and stock up before it's too late!

No comments: