Monday, March 9, 2009

Mmmm Mmmm Monday: Pepper Beef Goulash

When I made this the other night, I varied just a bit from the recipe. I'll write down the recipe as it is on the card, and then I"ll add what I did differenty. That way, you can try it both ways and see which you like best!

Pepper Beef Goulash
1/2 cup water
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tbsp cider vinegar*
1 envelope sloppy joe seasoning
2 to 2 and 1/4 lbs beef stew meat (3/4" cubes)
1 celery rib, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
Hot cooked rice

In a 3 quart slow clooker, combine the water, tomatoe paste, vinegar and sloppy joe seasoning. Stir in the beef, celery and green pepper. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.** Serve over rice.

Makes 4-5 servings.

*- I used Balsamic vinegar becuase that's all I had in the house. Hubby said it gave a really good flavor.
**- I checked my crockpot after an hour on high and the meat was almost completely cooked through already. I turned down the cooker to low, and checked again after a couple more hours. for the last hour of cooking, I turned it to warm, so as to not overcook the meat. I don't like meat that's tough to chew, and I was really worried that if I kept it on high the entire time, the meat would've been impossible to tear apart.

No comments: