Wednesday, September 3, 2008


The last couple of days have been more stressful than ever in our house! Here I am, 5 days left until hubby gets home, and I'm facing a possible hurricane hitting the city where we live. So much for Charleston never getting hurricanes.

We're day by day on whether or not we evacuate. I read the base's evacuation handbook, and it clearly states that we are NOT AUTHORIZED to board up or tape our windows in base housing. So to me that reads that they will evacuate us, since they will not let us take the proper precautions. But I can't leave until it's announced because if we go before an official evacuation, we will not be reimbursed for our travel expenses. So I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place. I don't want to stay here and weather the storm with my kids by myself, but I don't have the money it would cost us to evacuate.

I am NOT a patient person, so this 'hurry up and wait' attitude of the military is getting old. One would think after 7 years of military life that I'd be used to it, but I'm not. Especially not when it deals with the safety of my family. They will not authorize Bobby to test out early from 7-level school, becuase they are not going to willingly let him go into a hurricane. So their solution is for me and the kids to go to him in a safe area.

As of right now, the boys still have school tomorrow, and the base commander is supposed to make his decision regarding evacuation by 6am. So who knows...this time tomorrow I could be sitting in the house helping Noah with his homework, or I could be almost to our final destination of Maxwell AFB, Alabama, where the hubby is at his school. Your guess is as good as mine!

No comments: