Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Emotional Tug-of-war

While I was out running my errands today, I noticed that the stores are starting to stock their Christmas items. Normally, this is my favorite time of year. I love to decorate my house for the holidays, and I actually enjoy Christmas shopping. But this year it's different. Money is tight, and I won't be able to decorate how I want to. We are in a new house this Christmas and we finally have a big front yard to do up, and nothing to do it up with. Sure, we have our Christmas lights from last year, and with any luck they'll all still work this year, but for once we have a lawn and I won't be able to make it festive. I have a feeling our yard will be reminiscent of Charlie Brown's sad little Christmas tree.

As for Christmas gifts, we'll be getting pretty creative this year. I already plan on making most of the gifts that we will be giving (really not a problem for me...I'd like to consider myself a military wife version of Martha Stewart), and the rest will be inexpensive, but meaningful.


I know that we are not the only family having to cut back on Christmas this year. Maybe we should all just revisit the Christmases of the past and bask in the fact that we have our loved ones near, and make it a great holiday despite the current economic situation.

No comments: