Monday, October 20, 2008

Mmmm Mmmm Monday: Pumpkin Bread

I thought that becuase it finally feel like fall here in South Carolina, that I'd share my favorite fall recipe. Pumpkin Bread. This is a huge hit in my house, and perfect for fall because the pumpkin pie filling (a staple for this recipe) is stocked to the brim on grocery store shelves. My husband loves it so much that he requested it be mailed to him during his last deployment. I sent it quite a few times, becuase every time I sent a loaf it was gone within hours, becuase everyone in the shop wanted some too. And when a recipe is well-loved by men in uniform, I consider it a success! So from our cozy house to yours, I give you pumpkin bread. Enjoy!


Pumpkin Bread
Prep time: 20 min
Bake time: 55-65 min.
Makes 2 loaves

3 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
3 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspooon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup water
1-15oz can pumpkin

Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of two 9x5x3-inch (or three 8x4x2-inch or four 7.5x3.5x2-inch) loaf pans; set aside. In a very large mixin bowl, beat sugar and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs and beat well; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Alternately add flour mixture and water to the sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined. Beat in pumpkin. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans.

Bake at 350* for 55-65 minutes or until a cake tester (or toothpick) is inserted and comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.

Now, here's where I differ from the recipe. It says to cool completely, then wrap in saran wrap and store overnight before slicing. But I'm a sucker for a warm slice of freshly baked bread, so I slice it up as soon as I remove it from the pan. I don't taste a difference between the two ways, other than it's not warm bread. So do as your little heart desires. Just savor the season!

No comments: