Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Big Bad Second Grader




Today was Noah's first day of second grade. And, despite his best efforts, I could tell he was excited. He actually went to bed on time last night and got up the first time I called him this morning...no small feat might I add.


Last night we met his teacher, Mrs. Newman and he got to pick his seat in the classroom (he picked the seat next to our old neighbor, his friend Lacey). He was a little bummed this morning that Daddy wasn't here, but he cheered up when I took a picture of him on my phone to send to him. He practically ran the whole way to school, even under the weight of his backpack that was loaded down with supplies. I walked him into his classroom (I was carrying the supplies that didn't fit into his backpack) and he almost rushed me out the door. My little boy is growing up, and apparently doesn't need his mommy to make sure he's ok anymore. It's a bittersweet moment when you realize that. Alas, I kept my emotions in check, took Jonah in one hand and had Sophia on my hip, and I walked out of the classroom without looking back.
No guarantees, however, that I will be able to keep said emotions at bay next week, when Jonah starts pre-k!


1 comment:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Awww, that first day of school is so exciting and scary at the same time.